Sunday, March 21, 2010

Melting Icebergs Experiment

I just finished teaching my students about global warming. I like the study of climate change because it feels so relevant and right now. My students really get into learning about the causes, effects and different solution to the problem. I now think I will take a different approach to teaching this subject. I enjoyed this Science Inquiry Experience. I thought this lesson was a great way to guide students to make discoveries of their own. The most helpful part for me was the part where I considered other explanations. I learned how to have my students engage and explore before researching what other investigations are reporting. Having to construct a Venn diagram that compared the various viewpoints was such an enduring lesson for me. It helped me focus my research on a specific goal, look at several different viewpoints and draw my own conclusions.

Polar ice caps melting leads, initially, to an increase in runoff but could eventually lead to drought conditions and a water and food crisis. The melting ice provides the water needed to sustain many crops, people and animals. These shrinking glaciers mean harsh consequences for the whole Earth. A decreased water supply in some areas of our world could mean an increase in food prices all over the globe. Rivers drying up also have social consequences. This would make a great interdisciplinary lesson because it helps children think about cultures different from our own. It also helps them see that what we do makes a difference and that technology can have both benefits and burdens.

The lesson of climate change can be differentiated, because students can explore so many different effects of this change. They can study how plant and animal species are affected by the changes in climate or how rising sea levels will cause changes in the maps of the world. Students can also study new technologies created to help limit our greenhouse gas emissions. I also saw a study that said methane trapped more heat than CO2 and thought that would be an interesting study for students.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is great that you have already exposed your students to this subject of climate change and global warming. I think the melting icebergs activity is a very interesting experiment. I will not be able to use it though because our school does not offer an Earth Science course.

    ReplyDelete